Thursday 18 August 2011

03: Initiation

Waking up in an unfamiliar place in complete darkness can be disorienting at the best of times, and this was certainly not that. I levered myself onto my side, feeling quite solid physically but with a poor sense of balance. It felt as if the unseen cavern was spinning all around me, but surprisingly I didn't feel the least panic, or indeed any strong emotion. I crawled around the island but could find no sign of the woman. Where the statue had stood there was only an empty pool of water. Curious.

Gradually the sense of disorientation receded and I again entered the lake, having worked out a general idea of direction by the footprints I had left on the island. There were no other footprints. Despite the circumstances I swum with a sense of confidence. Quiet confidence, now that the waterfall had gone. The ache and numbness in my body had also melted away and I felt energised.

In time I became aware of a dim light ahead, which completely failed to illuminate the cavern but was never the less quite conspicuous. Approaching closer I could see a doorway on the shore, sat on the far side of this the Grandmaster, his robes glowing softly. He appeared to be meditating, facing the lake with his eyes closed.

Finally I felt solid ground beneath my feet and stood at the waters edge, the noise of this startling Hsiang out of his apparent reverie. He leaped up, the first time I had ever seen the Grandmaster surprised, and stared at me for a moment, his hand having darted towards a knife at his side.

"Well done... I did not sense you approach"

He looked at me searchingly, searching I supposed for signs of...

He's looking for signs of insanity.

A voice in my head, now laughing softly. I was sure this should have left me astonished and afraid, but instead it seemed only right, only natural. I decided to bow my head towards the grandmaster, a sign of deference to his rank. When I looked up again he appeared more reassured.

"You may speak. Tell me of your ordeal" invited the Grandmaster

But not about that island, the temple, or the Lady.

The internal voice again, not unwelcome. I went with it

"Master Tong, after you left me I swum across the lake. When I came to an island I took the flask and, in unbroken meditation, I drank from the water. A sensation swept over my body but this passed with time. My fears receded, and I swum onward until I saw your glow."

This was the first time I had ever lied to any among the Morag Tong, but again it seemed natural and I spoke calmly. I watched Hsiang carefully while speaking and he had not visibly reacted to the lie, though he continued to study me uneasily, looking me up and down.

Following his cue I looked down at myself only to see that my body seemed... darker... than it should. The light from Hsiang's robes were not illuminating me properly. Perhaps an artifact of the magic suppression from the cavern or lake water? But then why was Master Hsiang surprised? Evidently I had passed the 'sanity test' however, as he released his knife handle and passed a black robe into my arms.

"Dress. Your kin will welcome you into our ranks. And then for your first task"

We walked along the upward sloping passage. There were carvings along some of the walls, invocations in text and painted image to Boethiah, Lord and Patron of Assassination. Shafts of natural light fell from above and the air warmed, until we reached a large anti chamber. A stone statue of Boethiah took pride of place at the centre, a pile of human bones at his feet...

They failed the ritual.

...and a ring of Morag Tong initiates standing assembled before it. Some I knew as those who had taught me, and some were older peers who had taken the initiation earlier and survived, but many were unfamiliar. Among them I recognised Magnus, an old friend of mine whose safety I had feared after he left for the initiation and I heard no news for over a year and until now. But seeing him I felt none of my past warmth toward him.

The remaining ceremony need not bear detailed recount, beyond that I ascertained that all others I spoke to had experienced only the simple initiation that I had lied of having. I was congratulated, but felt no pride or indeed any strong emotion. It should have been slightly disconcerting.

When each Morag Tong agent approached me individually the 'voice in my head' spoke up.

See how she looks nervously at the Grandmaster? She has failed him in some way, and fears of it.

His strength lies in magic, but he thinks something unexpected has changed in you, something that defies his ability.

This one is interested in you. He seemed surprised when you were given the dagger after you were with the group, which must mean this was not standard procedure. He wonders if Hsiang is unsure about you.

Your friend, Magnus. Despite how he looks pleased to see you, I do not think he is. He is not as you remember him.

This complete, the Grandmaster addressed the group.

"We are honoured to welcome our newest initiate, and in ancient tradition I offer him both a Writ and a Name. Alseki, your writ is to execute Sujata Hlaalu of Vvardenfell..."

See the surprise in the faces of your peers? Something is unusual about this task.

Indeed behind the carefully blank masks of the group there seemed a sense of both shock and ...disapproval? But none spoke in protest.

"...and your task complete, return to us a true member of the Morag Tong. Farewell"

Having finished his address, Hsiang left the room immediately, already wrapping a travel cloak about him as if he had a journey ahead. Maybe returning to Mournhold, if the rumours among the candidates held true. Some of the assembled took this as their cue to drift away, while among others muted conversation broke out. Only one approached me. Magnus.

"Alseki, you should know that this writ is not legal, like so many we serve these days... if you are caught they will treat you as a criminal. Presenting the writ may gain you aid from some quaters, but not from the authorities. Also, I was just talking with Morgan. He says that you've changed in a strange way... he says that, magically speaking, he can't sense you. And he says he has never encountered it before... needless to say he doesn't like it. But maybe it will help you." Magnus looked troubled, and his optimistic comment sounded slightly hollow.

I didn't stay to chat. I had to prepare to travel, from Blacklight to Vvardenfell. There to find and kill Sujata Hlaalu.

Besides, I seemed quite capable of hearing a voice solo now. What need of company?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.